|“||I promise that I'll always strive to be someone who's good enough for you, someone who deserves you. So... will you marry me?||”|
- John's main story, "The Oath of Four" is based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel The Sign of Four.
- Also Jane fulfills the role as Mary Morstan.
- A running gag in his story is that he's constantly hit on by Jane's agent Simon, who's a transgender woman.
- In James' route, he has affections for Jane but he's not as strong as a romantic rival as Sherlock.
- John's route is the first to introduce Jane's parents, while Mycroft's was the second.